Friday, August 8, 2008

A gothic moment with Poe

Going through a gothic moment - just finished a couple of Edgar Alan Poe short stories from: Great short works of Edgar Allan Poe : poems, tales, criticism (edited with an introduction by G.R. Thompson.)

Some highlights include:
  • Tell Tale Heart
  • The Murders in the Rue Morgue
  • The Black Cat
  • The Fall of the House of Usher
And his poem 'The Raven' - try not to be mesmirized:

While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a tapping,
As of some one gently rapping, rapping at my chamber door.
"'Tis some visiter," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door--
Only this and nothing more."

Read the Tell Tale Heart online here.

I love the first person narrative and intensity of Poe's stories. They grab you instantly and leave you wanting so much more.

It has got me motivated and now revisiting Mathew Pearl's The Poe Shadow.

1 comment:

Tseen Khoo said...

I love Poe - I even have a t-shirt with a cartoon Poe on it (it's about 15 yrs old now...).

There are some great readings of Poe stories floating around, too (e.g. "The Raven" read by Jeremy Irons!). Let me know if you're into those and I can track them down for you. :D