Friday, February 20, 2009

Disappointed - Throne of Jade

For musicians, the say the follow up second album is always a difficult one. I think this also applies to writers.

I am really, really, really disappointed with the second book in Naomi Novik's Temaraire series - Throne of Jade. If I had to use just one word to describe it, I would say it was 'pedestrian'.

Not enough action scenes, suspense or thrills. The narrative is weighed down by a lot of conversations between characters explaining things to each other. Hello? Bring back the aerial battles between dragons and the French and English!

And when there was some action, it is quite rushed and badly written. The scenes set in China are totally unbelievable and lacking in any subtley. Plus the post-colonial in me was a bit put off with the stereotypical descriptions of Chinese as inscrutable, emotionless and wearing funny clothing.

Maybe my expectations were too high?

They say third time lucky – Fingers crossed as am about to start the 3rd book in series this weekend Black Powder War.

No comments: