Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Mid-book Rave - Thomas Perry's The Butcher Boy

I have found a thriller writer as satisfying as Frederick Forsyth!

Mid-way through Thomas Perry's first book The Butcher Boy and it is brillant! I can't put it down, the writing is short, sharp and suspenseful. Like Forsyth, the story telling is masterly, with two intersecting storylines slowly drawing closer and closer together.

The book follows the an un-named hitman, "Butcher Boy" who is double crossed by the mob after he completes a contract killing work for them. It also tells the story of the Department of Justice field agent, Elizabeth Waring, who is trying to tie all the killings together.

It was first published in 1982, but am reading the republished 2007 version. The intro by Michael Connolly describes the book in one word "relentless". So true.

Luckily I'm on holidays and able to read until 2am without having to worry about dragging myself up for work. Bliss.

First came across Butcher Boy after reading a review of Perry's latest book, Runner, which is part of his Jane Whitefield series. Needless to say, I'm tracking down this series already and have just got hold of books 2 & 3: Dance for the Dead & Shadow Woman. Can't find the first book in my library so looks like I'm going to have to make a purchase!

So excited as Perry has quite an extensive bibliography!!!

No comments: