Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Gothic stories - Oz style: John Harwood

So excited, I've got my hands on Australian author John Harwood's latest gothic ghost novel, The Seance.

I read the blurb and loved it:

"London, the 1880s. A young girl grows up in a household marked by death, her father distant, her mother in perpetual mourning for the child lost."

Cool or what? I know I'm going to be up for some late nights with this book.

I stumbled upon Harwood's first book, The Ghostwriter by accident at the library. I was enthralled, it was a great ghost novel.

I'm a bit of newbie to the whole gothic suspense genre, but got a taste for it after reading the Diane Setterfield's The Thirteenth Tale.

This book is brillant. I could not put it down, it is so well written in terms of characters, narrative and of course a real page turner. I'd recommend this book if you are after an enthralling read that just totally draws you and doesn't let go...right onto the last page.


There is nothing like curling up in bed with a great ghost story. Even better if it is cold and wet, hearing the rain on your window while reading a ghost story really adds to the ambiance.

No comments: