Monday, October 27, 2008

Gothic continued: The Gargoyle

Interupted The Seance to read The Gargoyle, which I've been patiently waiting to arrive in my library since I read the NYT review.

I could not put this book down. It is a compelling read that is difficult to describe. Call it a kind of mystery story, gothic romance and meditation on love. To give anymore away would be to ruin the story.

One of the best 'grab you immediately' chapters of a book I have read for while too.

I also loved the 'story within story' aspect of the book. The book traverses, Dante’s Inferno and fables from Japan and Greenland. Fascinating.

Part of my enjoyment also came from the sarcastic narrator, whose jaundiced and cynical view of the world is scarily similar to mine!

The book has managed to lodge in my mind since I have finished it.

No comments: