Saturday, September 13, 2008

Disappointment – Dawn Evening or Night - I just don’t get it.

You know when you want to like a book but you just don’t?

In my previous post I was eagerly awaiting Yasmina Reza's Dawn Evening or Night - an account of her year with current French prez Nicholas Sarkozy.

Written as a sort of stream of consciousness/diary it was disjointed and unsatisfying.

Overall, I tried to like it and factor in Reza's approach, but in the end I really just didn’t get it. Reza describes her style in a NY Times article as ‘impressionistic sketch’ – but I just found it just too sketchy.

Perhaps a case of "it’s not you, it’s me"?


Maureen Orth’s article on Carla Bruni & Sarkozy relationship in Vanity Fair website is a much better read and a far more satisfying analysis.

The photos are fantastic (see example above) and needless to say very glamorous and very Vanity Fair style.

No comments: